Hospital Labour, Birth and Postpartum:
In order to keep you and your baby safe, we have introduced new measures to minimize exposure to COVID-19.
Please call maternity and advise the maternity nurse prior to arriving if you have any symptoms of a cold or flu:
Maternity Nurse phone #: 604-989-6248
- On arrival, all labouring patients will be admitted through the Emergency Entrance.
- Those who present with any symptoms such as cough or fever, will be taken to a separate area for swabbing prior to admitting and escorted up to maternity on the 3rd floor.
- Those who do not present with any symptoms such as cough or fever will then go directly to maternity on the 3rd floor.
- During labour and your birth, only one primary support person will be permitted. No additional support persons will be permitted, such as doulas and family members. Please arrange for care for other family members as necessary.
- Your support person will not be permitted in maternity if they have any symptoms.
- No family or friends will be permitted in the waiting areas, lounges or family room at the hospital during your stay.
- No visitors will be permitted in the maternity ward during your stay.
- Nitrous oxide gas (“laughing gas”, “Entonox”) will not be available at this time as a pain coping tool in labour due to the potential for easily spreading viral droplets.
- Please do not be alarmed if we are wearing personal protective gear, such as protective eyewear, masks and gowns. This is intended to minimize transmission of COVID-19 to you and other patients.
- We will be discharging all our postpartum patients as soon as you and your baby are confirmed healthy and stable by your primary care provider.
As your maternity team, we care deeply for supporting you during your labour, birth and postpartum. We understand these measures may impact you and your family and we hope that you will appreciate the importance of taking extra precautions to keep you and your baby healthy.
At this time, ultrasounds in pregnancy will continue to be booked as essential health care.
Please note that partners or support persons are not able to join you during your ultrasound appointment as part the the hospital-wide effort to minimize people in the hospital. Please speak to your care provider if this poses a serious problem for you.